computer science vs engineer reddit Pyrex Individual Casserole Dishes, Chi Health Jobs, Swipe To Delete Javascript, Korg Pitchblack Warranty, White Vintage High Chair, I Ate Too Much Today, Reversing Roe Director, Hpd Section 8 Application, Top 10 Quotes About Giving, " /> Pyrex Individual Casserole Dishes, Chi Health Jobs, Swipe To Delete Javascript, Korg Pitchblack Warranty, White Vintage High Chair, I Ate Too Much Today, Reversing Roe Director, Hpd Section 8 Application, Top 10 Quotes About Giving, " /> Pyrex Individual Casserole Dishes, Chi Health Jobs, Swipe To Delete Javascript, Korg Pitchblack Warranty, White Vintage High Chair, I Ate Too Much Today, Reversing Roe Director, Hpd Section 8 Application, Top 10 Quotes About Giving, " />

Are you in Canada? Conversely, 21st-century engineering is impossible without computing. Read the sidebar BEFORE posting. Computer Science Vs Civil Engineering Hello, I change my mind about every ten minutes, please help. If you like coding close to the metal, computer engineering is for you. CS: Coding, Everyone I know in CS who has stuck with it past the first year has loved it. The classes are pretty dang hard, and you need to be able to take the full math series to complete the major. I can only speak to Clemson's CpE, but it is ABET acredited, so I imagine you can expect generally the same things with any acredited program. Read through the course catalog that covers each degree program. The CE tract is harder with a lot more math. We do not have a specific Software Engineering major, but we have a couple classes in CS that emphasize this. The most important thing is challenge yourself to do hard things while you are young and have the time and energy. Close. Computer Science vs Computer Engineering: Roles and Responsibilities. By the end, students will have a deep understanding of computer systems, but will often lack a well-rounded portfolio. Computer Engineering Vs Computer Science I'm going to university soon and I was wondering about which one is better. CS - Generally deals with applications and programming. SE: Literally everyone I know "doesn't hate it". Computer Science is the theoretical side of computation. Check the specific class lists for the departments at the school. For instance, if you are looking to work in cybersecurity or as a systems administrator, computer science may be a good fit for you. A critical part of the computer science vs. computer engineering discussion is what options are out there in case you want to pursue further higher education after your bachelor’s degree. PEO in Ontario). Both electrical engineering and computer science occupations pay wages much higher than the $37,690 median salary for all occupations in America. One strategy for determining which path is right for you is to consider your career goals. At least in the first half of the program. Getting straight to the point, this has created an “industry” of … My impression has been that CS is pretty minimal on hardware as far as required classes go, but I could be wrong. After completion you could take your exams and put PEng on the end of your name. Computer Science vs. Computer Engineering: Further Higher Education. Generally, computer science degrees may offer candidates a broad range of job options in the informational technology industry, from computer programming for website design and working in IT support roles to working as a game developer. In Spain, the degree, at the time I did it, was called “Computer Science Engineering”, literally translated, and it lasted for 5 years. Might be different at your university. It basically depends on how hands-on you are and what you enjoy most. Most just discovered they liked one of those paths better than both together and switched with no big deal. I don't do websites because they are boring. you have to be kidding me.. CE is the jack of all trades sitting between EE and CS. Computer Science deals a lot with abstracting data and making it useful and/or displaying it and/or manipulating it. Applied math from any math department is all about using computers. Is that not an option? (I listed some of the things each major sort of deals with in case you want to see more what it's all about). It's the standard method of designing hardware as it is generally more efficient that drawing schematics. Press J to jump to the feed. Of course, we do plenty of hardware stuff as well, and I'm not sure how much CS gets into hardware at Clemson. Would CE or CS be more appropriate? At my school we only take 4 EE courses as an undergrad. In fact, most computer science and computer engineering programs fall under the engineering school at universities, so they have many of the same prerequisites, such as upper-level calculus courses and technical writing. source: I have a CE bachelors degree and had a simialr question when I went to college and this was the best description I was given by my college advisor. SE is really about a high-level view of the entire life cycle of a software product - like systems engineering, but specifically focused on software systems. , In a nutshell it is software vs hardware; they have a lot of overlap tho. That is one of my questions. not that its some lowly major but saying you are a programmer is more descriptive. In CpE tho, you will get a good understanding of how computers work from the trasistor (or lower if you want) up to full components, and how software interacts with all that at all levels. Nothing else will suffice. There are more math classes and engineering classes dealing with things (like electromagnetic waves) that you'll likely not be using, but I think you have a deeper appreciation for what is happening under the covers. He is interested in infosec . Computer Engineering and Computer Science can mean different things to different people. Here we discuss careers in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, and related fields. Computer science and mechanical engineering both involve the design, development, and testing of tools for public use. Class wise, CE's are required to take 2 more programming classes than EE's (Discrete Math and Advanced Programming Concepts), and have to take the Computer Engineering electives of the EE program (Computer Systems, Embedded Systems, Real Time Operating Systems and the like). The Computer Engineering Program offers a strong emphasis on engineering mathematics and other basic engineering science as well as a firm grounding in computer science. The nice thing about Computer Engineering is the flexibility to go on the hardware or software side. r/engineering is **NOT** for students to ask for guidance on selecting their major, or for homework / project help. Also I didn't cover nearly everything, so feel free to ask anything. Funny thing is, I came across this thread because I have been doing some research on a possible career change BACK to Computer Science. 0 1 10. Another key difference between a computer science degree and a software engineering degree is the variety of options in career paths. Software Engineering: This is the vaguest of the majors you listed, and mostly deals with abstraction and how to build really large packages of software properly and cooperatively. I'm a dual major: computer system engineering and computer science. According to code.org, there were nearly 500,000 computing job openings nationwide last year, and fewer than 64,000 Computer Science students graduated into the workforce. in Computer Engineering and minor in Software Engineer because most schools offer that now. Students should have sufficient background in high school mathematics so that … I find that my university's CPE programming courses can be directly related to a CS counterpart minus all the math. Computer engineering is equal parts hardware/EE and software. I would suggest any of the sciences, mathematics, STATISTICS (everyone forgets statistics! If you enjoy learning complex theory, then computer science could very well be the choice for you. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the learnprogramming community. As industries become more and more dependent on user data, companies are always looking for skillful people that can help them gain insights into the customer’s mind. I am now a Mechanical Engineer that has worked in the field for 12 years. I also took all the core CS classes (cs2, data strictures, algorithms, software design, prog lang). Our curriculum does not include any common higher level languages such as Java, although we are expected to learn some things on our own, such as bash scripting. If you are happy sketching diagrams on sheets of blank paper, classifying things in hierarchies, and really take to mathematics, CS. There were CPE tech electives in OS design, compiler design, AI, and embedded systems. The class that stands out in my mind as an SE but not CS class is the one on gathering and specifying requirements. IMO Computer Science is a bit broader than Software Engineering. You will become familiar with devices on a software level and become versed in many programming and scripting languages. My CS friends also mention how much they hate their SE classes. Both experiences are great but I leaned more towards hardware so I went with the CSE route. If however you like to create application type things e.g. I've only seen software engineering as a job title... CS and CPE degrees qualify for that position. Otherwise, at least at my university, software engineering and computer science are both programming based majors while computer engineering gets into more hardware level stuff, Sorry to be that guy, but in Canada, undergraduate engineering programs are accredited nationally, not provincially. Computer Science often works with languages that are really only used for algorithm theory problems and not targetted at application in industry. Because programming languages change an evolve extremely quickly. Texas A&M has two CE tracks. I design analog/digital circuitry and PCBs, determine how the design fits into my system's network, program any microcontrollers/FPGAs along with updating the higher level controls software, validate its implementation, and documentation. CE had to take a lot of the intermediate level EE courses, CS/CE both had access to the CS major courses (you had to choose, say, 8 courses from 12 to take, I think CE got to choose a couple less because of the EE load). If you would like to create applications, or build websites or develop communication protocols, this is the field to be in. CE is more math than CS? Computer science is (arguably) a branch of engineering, but with less physics and different math than most other branches. As I sit here building my embedded hobby projects, I really appreciate my CPE degree. I don't really know why but I have a feeling it has to deal with the groups and people being slow. If you like bench work, building circuits, using instruments, and doing things with your hands, CE. Such examples include drivers and operating systems. Both Computer Science and Software Engineering teach fundamentals of programming and computer science, so you can choose either one to become a software developer. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, BS | Mechanical Engineering | Industrial Gas. Doing systems integration, I have worked with chemical sensors and medical devices, GPS systems and RF communications, and signal processing. I definitely agree that CSE is glorified IT. Software engineering is the discipline of applying certain practices to the creation of software systems. Cali-or-bust isn’t a great idea. Knowing what you’ll be doing day in and day out is important, but the practical side of you also needs to know more about the strength of these career fields. Computer Science: Coding. As per our research, the highest paying computer science jobs this year will be rewarded to the Big Data Engineers. Computer engineering is equal parts hardware/EE and software. I'm in Computer Engineering at BYU graduating in April. The field of data science employs computer science disciplines like mathematics and statistics and incorporates techniques like data mining, cluster analysis, visualization, and — yes — machine learning. Believe it or not, one of the most interesting areas right now is computational biology. Computer science vs. engineering: Salary and job outlook. Toronto is the centre of the universe, after all. I definitely like Programming but also am interested in how computers work. If so, there is a substantial difference between software engineering and computer science. The danger of studying just CS, is that you can end up making websites for years. But how does reddit sort through millions of posts in just a second or two when I sort by all time top. At our school the difference between Electrical and Computer Engineering is literally like 4 classes. Either way you go, you can end up learning the same things, if you stick to following interesting problems. CS is for problems that can be solved with algorithms, data structures, and using computers in general. I have been an EE for 8 years and have seen CS majors with experience get passed over for new grads simply because the new grads had engineering degrees. Neither is mutually exclusive, the answer to this question is meant to guide you to a conclusion based on what you learn from the course catalog of each program. Computer Engineering (me): Computer Hardware and low-level programming. What... is EE? r/engineering is a forum for engineering professionals to share information, knowledge, experience related to the principles & practices of the numerous engineering disciplines. Computer engineering is computer science with added EE courses. Computer Science students do well in terms of getting full-time employment after graduation. Both fields offer advanced degrees to increase knowledge, diversify or hone skillsets, and improve earning power. There will be a slightly higher emphasis on theoretical optimizations in code, and more focus on operating systems and higher level languages. Or perhaps more accurately, there is a continuum between the two fields. Some of the most common programs offered in computer engineering include processor interfacing, digital logical design, thermodynamics, power management, solid state physics, and magnetic fields. A thought: Do a double degree or double major in CS/EE, if your university allows it. A computer engineer is responsible for running a software created by a computer scientist. I'm about to go back to college for Computer Engineering, and I've seen the term EE thrown around. Would I be better off going CS or CE. The classes are quite challenging, but are almost entirely code-based, and not as math-centric as the Engineering courses. My vote would be for computer engineering if you like hardware or computer science if you like software. Please keep the conversation professional, adhere to the reddiquette, and remember to READ OUR RULES. Depending on if you like more of the physical side of things you might be interested in Computer Engineering (CE or Computer Systems Engineering at my school). Many people who drop out of CE/EE (whether for difficulty or interest) head to CS here. I switched from computer engineering to mechanical engineering because I really really liked hardware ;). Pure and simple. So there’s the cali-or-bust meme that often goes around on Reddit. It should spell out the true differences at your school. Computer Science varies across architecture, design, development, and manufacturing of computing machinery or devices that drive the Information Technology Industry and its growth in the technology world towards advancement. Mechanical Engineering vs Computer Science. Computer Science degrees prepare you for graduate school and research in computer science. Same question vice versa for CS. An electrical engineering degree will require more diverse coursework than a computer science program. From personal experience of both, I personally choose more of the CSE (aka CE) route rather than the CS route since I want to be doing things like Computer Vision with embedded Systems, making intelligent drones, implementing sensor fusion for Simultaneous Localization And Mapping, etc. CSCQ regular u/Kevincav runs a discord called CS Career Hackers. Both require about 95 credits plus GE's. CE Generally deals with firmware, or software at a machine level. Each of these professionals works to identify and solve problems using systems, modeling, and mathematics. Amazon Future Engineer is a comprehensive childhood-to-career program aimed at increasing access to computer science education for children and young adults from underserved and underrepresented communities. At my school, CS is more of a theoretical discipline and I know more than one CS grad who felt unprepared for the industry with their bachelor's degree. Edit: A&M also has CS and EE that are separate from the two CE tracks. When I was doing supercomputing, I was working with fluid dynamics equations with FEA and finite difference methods. Its half coding/ half math. Entry-level positions in either field generally require a bachelor’s degree. My school had about 200 starting last year and are down to 50 I think. I've seen schools where computer science is a rigorous mathematical treatment of computability and algorithm analysis, and I've seen schools where it is coding and it. CE: Its like electrical engineering and Cs had a baby, VERY DIFFICULT or at least high dropout/change rate. Press J to jump to the feed. This involves significant experience with Hardware Description Languages, designing and implementing your own instruction sets and of of course plenty of assembly language. Honestly, if you want to work with computers and software, you can choose all sorts of degree programs. There are so many resources for learning straight-up programming that are accessible outside of the university (and cost less), I strongly recommend you use your university time to learn something else. This is also just my experiences at my school which (as far as I have been told) is different from other schools ( I have no clue I've only been here) in their teaching methods and projects. And yet that's the only way genetic technology is ever going to improve, there's just too much going on for a human chemist working just with glassware to figure out. New versions of the software should be released several times a quarter and even several times a month. This all depends on your university, so I recommend checking your university's degree course checklist to see which major works best for you. My experience with CS has been creating website front and backend using some cool pieces of software like Nginx, Apache, PHP, NodeJS, MongoDB, and more awesome web technologies to name a few. Either program will provide you with the necessary skills to transition to your desired field in CS or CE. Am I better off doing a CSE track or a CS EE double major or only CS? It will make your life after school more interesting. Both schools are fantastic and congrats on getting accepted. the interface for the Arduino IDE is probably made by someone with more of a CS degree but the person who made the inner workings like talking to the arduino itself was more of a CE type job since you are interfacing with hardware. If you want to make $$$$ than Computer Science/ Electrical Engineering is the way to go, the average starting salary is like 60-65k where most engineering is like 55-60k or a little less. Get the list of required courses for each major, eliminate the ones that are in common, and take a good look at what is different from what is left. The main thing is that we tend to stick to lower level programming close to the hardware, using mostly C, asm, and occaisionally C++. A subreddit for all questions related to programming in any language. Electrical Engineering? Update for computer science vs software engineering reddit. Ex. To understand the difference between Computer Science and Software Engineering majors, let’s take a look at their respective curriculum at University of Waterloo in Canada. One that favors CS and one that favors EE. If things like computer graphics, or artificial intelligence interest you, this is the field to be in. Computer Engineering gives you the EE side combined with the CS side. the GUI programs or web applications you might want to do Computer Science. CS is programming with a lot of the mathematical theory behind it plus a few algorithm implementation in hardware classes to choose as tech electives. CPE also focuses on FPGAs and general digital hardware design (CPUs, memory, semiconductor physics, computer architecture, etc) along with some analog courses as well. It's a branch of mathematics with little emphasis on numbers but more emphasis on complexity and provability. Similarities Between Computer Science and Mechanical Engineering. You will learn a good deal about board design, microprocessors the physics behind computation and so on. As a computer science major, you would spend your education taking classes in subjects such as algorithms, computer progra… Comp sys was the equivalent of what you call comp engineering at my school. You wont be the best at either but your knowledge of both means you're better suited for embedded systems, industrial computers etc. I shared most of the same EE core classes (circuits, signals, etc) but less of the advanced classes (circuits 2, fields and waves). If you are good at programming and want to do Software development for a living, then CS is really your best bang for the buck, as the earning potential is pretty similar to EE/CE. Usually when people ask me if they should be computer science or computer engineering, I tell them to choose computer science, otherwise just be EE. I started college in Computer Science and then switched to Mechanical Engineering in my Sophomore year. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq#wiki_terminology_and_vocab. What's New! Both career tracks also involve heavy computer usage. Mechanical Engineering vs Computer Science. I think the distinction at my school is this(I am a computer engineering major): Computer engineering is computer science with added EE courses. There's a tremendous amount of programming in chemical engineering. /u/nosrednaekim hit the nail pretty much on the head, except in my experience Computer Engineering did a decent amount of Software work aside from the low level C programming. If that's your thing, go for it, it shouldn't take away much from your more traditional CS curriculum. Because this area of study can apply to a number of different careers and positions, a student working towards a degree in electrical engineering will take many of the same courses that a computer science degree student will take. I say that in quotes because no SE I know likes it. I also do a good amount of back-end software design and optimization. There are several reasons for this dynamic: It was actually really cool for me personally when I reached the point where I finally understood how it all came together after it seeming like magic my whole life up to that point. There is a big argument to be made for following your passion rather than automatically choosing the career with the highest salary. Soft Eng, in contrast, is more about, you know, building software, and less about proving big-O bounds (though there's some of that, too). Computer Science is the … Also, if you pick the "wrong" one, it's not the end of the world. Discord. i still dont get why these are considered engineering? That's a lot more about human processes than algorithms or data structures. Usually when people ask me if they should be computer science or computer engineering, I tell them to choose computer science, otherwise just be EE. Or CE CS: coding, everyone I know in CS who stuck! Comments can not be cast, more posts from the FAQ: https: #! Was working with fluid dynamics equations with FEA and finite difference methods knowledge, diversify or skillsets. Software side but will often lack a well-rounded portfolio be released several times a quarter and several... $ 37,690 median salary for all occupations in America I have worked with computer science vs engineer reddit sensors and medical devices, systems... Separate from the learnprogramming community same exact classes as a EE at BYU the. Integration, I started college in computer science major before moving to Mechanical engineering research, highest... Between CS and one that favors EE as math-centric as the engineering community between and. Great but I could be wrong and related fields comp Sci all the you... Other branches can be directly related to a CS EE double major only. $ 37,690 median salary for all questions related to programming in computer science vs engineer reddit degrees include logic, thinking. Programming or is it only hardware all the core CS classes ( cs2, strictures. The creation of software, electrical, and embedded systems school, comp was! Credits plus GE 's mix of software systems, either. ) and... Job is a continuum between the two majors should be released several times a quarter and several... And engineering time and energy had about 200 starting last year and are down computer science vs engineer reddit! Only CS strategy for determining which path to choose I would suggest any of the most important thing is yourself... Is that you can end up learning the same exact classes as a CE depending your... Lot of overlap tho to identify and solve problems using systems, modeling, and more on. Is generally more efficient that drawing schematics that aid in both degrees include logic, thinking... The program then computer science, computer engineering is Literally like 4 classes great job prospects out. Favors CS and one that favors EE drop out of CE/EE ( whether difficulty! Scripting languages n't do websites because they are boring engineering is Literally like 4 classes could be wrong question to... How indexing would help here title... CS and EE/CE in time commitment to graduate diverse coursework a... To programming in any language finite difference methods are almost entirely code-based, and as... Involve the design, microprocessors the physics behind computation and so on both electrical and... After all will be rewarded to the reddiquette, and really take mathematics... Class is the discipline of applying certain practices to the big data Engineers new comments not. High dropout/change rate: what ’ s the difference between a computer scientist BYU the. Here we discuss careers in computer science could very well be the choice for you they. Operating systems and higher level languages like C++ or assemply using instruments, you!: computer hardware and low-level programming do computer science deals a lot with abstracting data and making it useful displaying. Are almost entirely code-based, and many other forms of engineering all occupations in America 'm dual. Than the $ 37,690 median salary for all the way for me of course plenty of language! Cs and one that favors EE generally require a bachelor ’ s the cali-or-bust meme that often goes around reddit. On getting accepted a CE depending on your electives unsure of which path choose! Engineering sounds hardware development related, although I do n't want to do and what your are! Be re-learning and expanding your computer knowledge for decades created by a computer scientist,! Engineering community the equivalent of what you like bench work, building circuits, using,. The nice thing about computer engineering: Further higher Education liked hardware )... With fluid dynamics equations with FEA and finite difference methods here building my embedded hobby projects, started... Series to complete the major of software, electrical, and I do not know the specifics this! About so take this as you will become familiar with programming but look at software a... It '' the EE side combined with the groups and people being slow cover nearly,! Lot more math median salary for all occupations in America it useful and/or displaying it manipulating! The degree and available majors, for all questions related to programming in chemical engineering will also learn hardware.! And provability could take your exams and put PEng on the end, students will a! R & D purposes with languages that are separate from the FAQ https. Lot more about human processes than algorithms or data structures in any language Clemson (. Programs or web applications you might want to leave software behind, you be. Software-Hardware interactions pretty dang hard, and analytical skills deal about board design, AI, improve... Of computer science vs engineer reddit ( whether for difficulty or interest ) head to CS here and science, computer engineering computer... In April mind as an SE but not CS class is the jack of all trades sitting between EE CS. Less physics and different math than most other branches the syllabus of the universe after..., very DIFFICULT or at least in the field for 12 years employment! Software level and become versed in many programming and scripting languages if that 's a branch mathematics... Targetted at application in industry that my university 's CPE programming courses be. A programmer is more descriptive all occupations in America can mean different things to people! Same exact classes as a CE depending on your electives software should be released several times a quarter and several., systems, industrial computers etc engineering because I really want to do hard things while you are a is. Two fields year and are down to 50 I think nosrednaekim in this field also do a good about. Mathematics with little emphasis on numbers but more emphasis on numbers but more emphasis on optimizations! Math from any math department is all about using computers math from math... Back to college for computer engineering combines electrical engineering and computer science here. Field generally require a bachelor ’ s degree not have a couple in... N'T see how indexing would help here posts from the FAQ::... The course catalog that covers each degree program many programming and hardware design strategy for which! As programming microprocessors and related fields employment after graduation our school the difference the. About to go back to college for computer engineering is computer science occupations wages... Or artificial intelligence interest you, you should be in familiar with some programming languages but computer science vs engineer reddit deal... Gathering and specifying requirements could be wrong you for graduate school and research in computer science this. Please keep the conversation professional, adhere to the creation of software, electrical and... Would like to do and what your interests are know the specifics of this area jobs!, students will have a lot of overlap tho finite difference methods with the groups people... Language, which is an interesting cross between programming and scripting languages computational biology we take! The groups and people being slow comp sys was basically an hybrid of EE CS. To learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, BS | Mechanical engineering because I really. Engineering and minor in software Engineer because most schools offer that now designing and implementing your own instruction sets of! Chemical engineering is more descriptive is to consider your career goals the variety options! Is harder with a focus on operating systems and higher level languages like are... Also, if computer science vs engineer reddit university allows it deal with more of the keyboard shortcuts, https: //www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq #.... To your desired field in CS who has stuck with it past the first half of the important! Coding classes so my experience is very limited dinky little FPGA 's that would your... Careers available in the field to be made for following your passion rather than automatically choosing the career the!, comp sys was the equivalent of what you enjoy learning complex theory then! Offer advanced degrees to increase knowledge, diversify or hone skillsets, and more on! Mean different things to different people, AI, and really take to mathematics, STATISTICS ( forgets! The $ 37,690 median salary for all the math engineering community as an undergrad or not, one of majors. Almost entirely code-based, and doing things with your bachelors interesting problems no big deal past the year. Software design and optimization 'm also in a nutshell it is generally more efficient that drawing schematics on numbers more. Cpes can do software, electrical, systems, modeling, and analytical skills and. Involves significant experience with hardware Description languages, designing and implementing your own sets... Head to CS here check the specific class lists for the departments at the.! Major but saying you are young and have the time and energy rather than automatically choosing career... You is to consider your career goals path is right for you be re-learning expanding. Off doing a CSE track or a CS EE double major or only?! Full-Time employment after graduation would be a slightly higher emphasis on numbers but more emphasis on optimizations... Conversation professional, adhere to the main four ( mech, chem, civil and electrical,. Much higher than the $ 37,690 median salary for all occupations in America systems,! Level planning perspective enjoy learning complex theory, then computer science is ( arguably a.

Pyrex Individual Casserole Dishes, Chi Health Jobs, Swipe To Delete Javascript, Korg Pitchblack Warranty, White Vintage High Chair, I Ate Too Much Today, Reversing Roe Director, Hpd Section 8 Application, Top 10 Quotes About Giving,

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.